Author Topic: One of those things you think only happens in "strange distant countries"...  (Read 15200 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
No big deal, there are more serious things happening in other parts of the world.

Nice movie though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:07:08 PM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Of course but it's not like I see this happen everyday....

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
That's true,  fortunately.

And it's obviously cucumber time for news shows.  Even serious programs like nieuwsuur spend 20 minutes on talking about possible causes and who could be blaimed.  That is no news,  that's speculating.  I hate that. They should stick to bringing news and facts. 

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
That shit will be on the next failarmy vid i think  :o

i hope there where no people in those houses..

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Looks like only a dog was a victim......quite amazingly IMHO.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
.....wow.......which only shows how insane much luck there was that no one got hurt !!!!!

I can not understand that there was no evacuation in the area during such work....insane !!!
If there's a bomb or gas leak the area gets cleared but not in this situation ?!?!

Pretty sure some rules are going to change following this....

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Seriously, what did the engineer think of when he put those crains on the same side of the pontoon??!!! Don't get the Crain operators either, they got the knowledge and and didn't say anything - smells like insurance fraud....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:23:53 PM by Muerto »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
They were on two separate (but bonded) pontoons AFAIK.

Experts (probably from other companies) here said they should have used cranes with "tank tracks" instead because these are more stable on pontoons.

One issue with the first crane was that these kind of mobile cranes (with truck wheels) have a safety feature that will render the crane completely uncontrollable as soon as the bottom of the crane is not exactly horizontal (say 1 degree or so). So even IF the driver tried to correct the situation, he simply couldn't because of this.

I sometimes work with certain platform lifts and they have "angle detection" too, and some things will work slower and some not at all when they detect a certain level of banking....

I also heard the city went for the company that offered the cheapest price (of three)

What I wonder is why they simply didn't use floating cranes like these:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
......  these kind of mobile cranes (with truck wheels) have a safety feature that will render the crane completely uncontrollable as soon as the bottom of the crane is not exactly horizontal (say 1 degree or so). So even IF the driver tried to correct the situation, he simply couldn't because of this.

I sometimes work with certain platform lifts and they have "angle detection" too, and some things will work slower and some not at all when they detect a certain level of banking....

Why is that then?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Well....if you stand on it and it's banked, let's say 4 degees and you go up like 12 meters you might very well tip over :)

I'm talking about these:

Those aren't too scary to go on.

This week I'm woking on one of these, and I hate them:

But it won't be much longer that I will work with these now and then....starting a new job October 1st :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
aha, obvious.