Author Topic: Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg  (Read 6058 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
Hi everybody.

I don't know if you're interested in modell trains (or modell landscapes at all).

If you are, and even if you are not, you should consider a trip to Hamburg. Not because of some great arcades (I don't think there are any) or the harbour or the fish market. Visit hamburg because of the Miniatur Wunderl (Miniature Wonderland).

It's a large modell train, I think the largest in the world.

Here's a promo video: http://www.youtube.com/miwulatv

Prices are very reasonable (both for the entry and food/beverage) and you can spend a whole day there without getting bored. There's just so much to see.

On their homepage www.miwula.de there are tons of pictures. And their youtube-channel contains "Gerrit's Tagebuch"....a collection of videos shot during the construction of the airport section...absoluteley amazing!!

if you go there...have fun!! I can only recommend to go and see it youself! :)

mchay

• View Profile
Re: Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
I've been there, and it is indeed a very impressive job they've done.

+ they just keep expanding it.

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
And their youtube-channel contains "Gerrit's Tagebuch"....a collection of videos shot during the construction of the airport section...absoluteley amazing!!

I think I have seen the construction of the airport at least three times in TV :D
But you are right, very amazing! I haven't been there, but the pictures and videos are stunning! Will definitely go there when I'm in Hamburg the next time.
All the arcades closed down, so you have to find some alternatives to spend time :)
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
All the arcades closed down, so you have to find some alternatives to spend time :)
What? You mean they closed the Reeperbahn too ? ;);)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
What? You mean they closed the Reeperbahn too ? ;);)

Here in Breda its still open  :D

We all love neon don't we  :lol:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
lol

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
I've been at the Miniatur Wunderland twice and really enjoyed my visit. German TV regularly broadcasts documentaries about the exhibition (for example "SpiegelTV Reportage" on VOX).

Being successful, the concept was (naturally) copied in Berlin under the name "Loxx".

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
We have something similar here in Rotterdam but it's an incomparable smaller scale.

http://youtu.be/KCvq_PD9ax4

http://www.railzminiworld.com

My son loved the video, especially the airport (he's nuts about planes and flying), thanks Thorsten....will keep this in memory if we'd ever be in the area....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:30:38 AM by Level42 »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
@Luigi

A very good friend of mine is crazy about trains, and i think he has been there  3 times now!
Seen countless of his pics from the place - very [Vader voice ON]impressive[Vader voice OFF]

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
It's really stunning. When you enter the first area - Swiss - with the 6m high tall mountain....you simply can't believe.

Gerrits Tagebuch is available with english subtitles. He explains everything about the airport....all the problems they had and how they solved them (or found a workaround). You also see how many details there are. i.e. they wondered why the cars on the parking deck looked so unreal...and found out that most of the cars had "wrong" colours. These days you see mostly silver or black cars. And their model cars had all kind of colours....blue, red, yello, green etc etc. They replaced a lot of cars with the popular colours and voilá.....it looked by far more real :)

This small world is sooo detailed...you simply can't believe.

@gerry: yes, I once saw a tv documentation about that in Berlin. It was very much smaller and not that detailed at all. As far as I know it's already closed and they sold the landscape to a shopping mall.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
When i am in the neighbourhood, i would love to visit that.

for sure i will go to the place andre is talking about, thats just +- 30 minutes from my place

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
As far as I know it's already closed and they sold the landscape to a shopping mall.

Could you quote a source for this information? LOXX still seems to be in business.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »
As far as I know it's already closed and they sold the landscape to a shopping mall.

Could you quote a source for this information? LOXX still seems to be in business.

hmmm..there was a tv documentation. It desctribed the (failed) project and showed how the landscape was dismounted, cut into pieces and built togehter in the mall. But I think it was much smaller than LOXX...never heard of LOXX before...maybe two different things :)