Author Topic: Recommended book on the basics of electricity/electronics  (Read 2755 times)

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
Recommended book on the basics of electricity/electronics
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
I've had several people ask me about what the best book was to learn the really basic stuff about electronics and, up until now, I'd point to the various classics in that department. But they all still take a while to grasp if you're coming from zero.

Anyway, a friend just lent me a book called There Are No Electrons: Electronics for Earthlings and it's amazing. It's completely absurd, involves extra-terrestrials, speedboat-piloting ducks and breakdancing chickens but all these stories have a serious point, that is to teach you electronics theory. And it does work, even though I already knew everything I read in there, it came from such a different/surreal perspective it actually gave me a better mental image of the way things happen.

Also it made me laugh out loud a few times too :)

So, if you're looking to get a good grasp on the basics, read it now.

From amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/There-Are-Electrons-Electronics-Earthlings/dp/0962781592/

From amazon.co.uk sellers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Are-Electrons-Electronics-Earthlings/dp/0962781592/

Colin

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended book on the basics of electricity/electronics
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
Exactly what an electro dummy like me was looking for...
Thanks a lot for sharing Colin.
(You all can already start sending me your faulty PCBs, I will fix them in no time)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
Re: Recommended book on the basics of electricity/electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
just ordered it , i'll read it during vacation :)