Author Topic: Hello from England!  (Read 7445 times)

Daz Quix-ote

• View Profile
Hello from England!
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »
Greetings to one and all in this fantastic community!

Firstly let me begin by saying thanks for having me :)

I've been popping in and out of here for a while now and love this website.  I felt it was about time I came out of the woodwork and showed my face  ;D

A little about me then if you will....

I'm 37 years young and my name is Darren although everyone calls me Dazzy, I was born and raised in the city of Gloucester and as soon as I was old enough to understand what a video game was I instantly became hooked!

I got into gaming very young, remember Pong? ;D I used to walk into the city a fair few times a week during the school holidays with a friend of mine and we would tour all the computer shops seeing what new games had been released and playing the games that were running in the shops at the time. 

I remember seeing pitstop in a computer shop once and thinking just how incredible it looked.

There was two arcades at the time, housing most of all the latest games,(The Golden Goose, and Spellbound) it was always exciting to walk in and see a crowd around the latest and greatest arcade machines, I was pretty deft at Donkey Kong and Kung Fu Master back in the day :lol:, well, I have a story about Kung Fu Master but I'll save that for now :)

Anyway.. it was one of those things, you just never knew going into the arcades if a new game was going to be in there or not, seemed they updated quite regularly in my city so I wen't regularly and kept my eyes open!

Dragon's Lair was there one day in all it's glory, and as I walked in and my chin hit the floor, I can remember that moment now, It was like nothing else.  I never had the cash to play Dragon's Lair much then but the feeling of excitement and awe really did feel special when I had the chance to have a go. When I wasn't playing it I would normally just enjoy the attract screen and wait for others to play so I could watch them :) (ofc showing good etiquette as no-one likes to feel smothered or bothered when they play).

Dragon's Lair became quite an obsession for me back then, I would constantly be thinking about it, drawing pictures and walking into town just to be with this game  :lol: (i'm a nutter) :)
One day I wen't in and I was treated to a game of doubles by a guy I had never met before, I still hadn't seen the game completed yet he completed everything without losing a life! it was then he turned round to me and said "Enjoy!" and just left the arcade.  Very soon after I realised that on the uk machines that meant unlimited lives for player 2 YAY!!! :)

I eventually learnt to "one man" the lair myself and will never forget the first time I completed the game, I was in Weston Super Mare and had a massive crowd watching haha, I was shaking after, those were the days  :) :) :)

Anyway, enough of me ranting, it's just brilliant to be here, tyvm

Dazzy

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Hello from England!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
Welcome Dazzy and ...woww... what an introduction  :)  :-* :-* :-* :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Your story is almost the same than mine and I'm sure most of us here :P

Each time you visit your arcade ... bang ... a new game to discover... until one day, THAT day...

Meet Dragon's Lair  :o :shock: :o :shock: :-* :-* :-*

Since THAT encounter, the things weren't the same  ::) :P I mean It turn into a real obsession... and the release of Space Ace isn't helping that fact  :P :ghost:
In Belgium, Dragon's Lair was the first game at 20bef (the normal price for other games was 10 bef ... approx a quarter of $ at the time)... and like most of us... we spending more time to watching the game, than playing...  :-\ .

Anyway, thanks for sharing your stories here and hope to read more stuff like that here  :spaceace:

Welcome home Daz'  ;) :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Daz Quix-ote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »
TYVM! for the warm welcome :)

I just got a 32" LCD HDTV yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy ,I set it up to be my pc screen and I just played DL HD using Daphne Emu :) yay, let the good times roll! I did have a donkey of a tv for years and finally upgraded.  I cant believe how great things look, especially x360 games, ace!

over and out.

Daz

p.s.

My kung Fu Master story coming soon x

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
p.s.
My kung Fu Master story coming soon x

A friend of mine is a real *master* ... at Kung Fu Master  ;D :arrow:

(taken from that old topic:arrow:

...Christophe 'PAG-MAN' shows us how to finish KUNG-FU MASTER, and also the 'ending' bug  :o  :P

Here's the last boss, at the floor 5 :

... killed  :)

:arrow:   the trick is to jump at the last moment on the girl like this :

Now enjoy the end, with THE bug : the hearts are supposed to be around them    :roll:  :wink:

The game is not over, it starts at the floor one, but there is new Dragon symbol :

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

What is your Kung Fu Master story  :P ?

logan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:25:16 AM »
Welcome from South-Germany!

Great story/introduction you wrote there, fun to read.

Daz Quix-ote

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »
Greetings friends!

Ok, my Kung Fu master Story!!!!

I played that game relentlessly in the arcades :evil: 

A few times we'd have competitions in the arcades and there would be quite a few people there.  (I hope you don't feel me boasting) Any road I always won.  I stopped playing for years and years until eventually I discovered Mame.  I was disappointed with the emulation as it was impossible to run and jump diagonally.  Mame states this as arcade accurate and you must run for a few seconds before you can.  This is true, but using Mame it is impossible to jump diagonally ever.  I found that using AdvanceMame rectifies this and I set out to get some good scores :)

I got a good score and checked on Twin Galaxies for the highest score on Kung Fu Master using Mame and mine way exceeded the world record..only snag is that I cannot for the life of me register with them.

I even bought an arcade stick to play more authentically and smashed the world record (on Mame).  I don't class KFM in the same class of difficulty as something like Donkey Kong and the Arcade world record of KFM is way out of my reach but still :), would of been nice to of been recognised.  I never made a video, I just know I'm capable of achieving that kind of score with a little practice.  If Twin Galaxies would of registered me (god knows why they didn't) I'd be on the leaderboard :)

Anyway,
Much love to you all and Merry Christmas

lots of love

Daz

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
Wow ... Impressive  :o But you should try to contact Twin Galaxies in order to explain the story... I would say don't give up because of a 'stupid' registration problem  :-\

You can honestly contact them, they are very smart. I've already submitted a score on Galaga, not the world record of course, but a score that should be in the top 15 'official' record at the time. I've even sent them a video, but not complete... and here's the answer from them :

Hello Bruno,
This is Matthew Walters from Twin Galaxies. Unfortunately, I am writing to inform you that we cannot accept your submitted score of 475,300 on Galaga. First, in the video, the performance is played on a Galaga arcade cabinet not M.A.M.E. Secondly, the video does not show the complete performance. It doesn't start until the score is already in the 400 thousand range and at parts it zooms away from the gameplay. This link http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8772 describes the official M.A.M.E. submission guidelines. Also, if you would prefer to record your score on the arcade machine, the official submission guidelines for that can be found here http://www.twingalaxies.com//index.aspx?c=70&id=4#HL31 . If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Of course, taking a video of you mastering the game (do you play how many time on one KFM game) is not the most important thing to do in life, but... If you know you're the better... try to take some time, organization (because of the camera to setup) ... and do it  :)

After watching the King of Kong, we wanna see the King of Kung  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks for the story  :)

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
I found Twin Galaxies to be helpful too. Mr Kelly R. Flewin dealt with my submission and I even got a WR news entry in the forums after my submissions was verified:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12867

I originally sent an EMail to them regarding a glitch in Rolling Thunder and whether it was allowed to be used. Absolutely no response  :roll:. I then posted a new topic in their forums and got an official response the same day!  8)

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12647

So my advice is use the forums!

Cheers
-Dazza-

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
after reading this, it makes me wonder how far away i am from the world record of Kung Fu Master? i can go round it 4 times/ get 3 dragon heads in the corner. lemme check...