Author Topic: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Man)  (Read 62036 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Man)
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »

the restoration continues ...

my pac-man stencils came without copyright message stencils or stickers for that. because the artwork seemed to be missing something, i asked brian from gamestencils.com whether he could cut some of those tiny stencils for me from a file i sent him. he kindly agreed to do so and sent a couple of those over to germany. thx brian - you rock!!!  :-*

taking measures for perfect alignment

after application, i'm removing the protective cover

maximum protection against possible overspray  :spaceace:

three thin layers of black later

the moment of truth!

man, those stencils are really tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny

just wonderful!!! no complications at all this time  :)

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

the restoration continues ...

... with the control panel! torn overlay, full of rust - here's what i started with  :arrow:

on most parts of the panel, the overlay peels off easily

on others i have to use the proper tools

done!

ok, this is as back-to-basics as it might get

all the metal parts get the usual powdercoating treatment - even the joystick parts which won't be visible. that's a lot of parts for one joystick by the way ... :o

i'm having troubles reassembling the joystick ???! this is how the pieces are supposed to go on the joystick shaft ...

... but as you can see the rubber centering grommet won't slide in far enough because the shaft is too thick in the middle!

here's the solution: parts of the old centering grommet were still on the shaft, completely rusted in. it blended in perfectly with the shaft, that's why i didn't notice that. with some wd-40 and a lot of brute force, i was finally able to remove the rest  :twisted:

the shaft gets its anti-rust treatment and some nice shiny polish - looking much better now!

i managed to find a nice replacement overlay with the original midway copyright message (no namco twobits s***) - this is going to look kickass on the powdercoated control panel!

running around the overlay are those pellets that pac-man has to eat during gameplay with the large hexagonal power pellets in the corners

in four spots of the overlay the screws holding the panel in place go directly through those power pellets, which means that the pellets are actually missing if i simply put in the screws! have a look at this test i did with blackened screws. although this is what it looked originally (although i don't know if the screws were silver or black), i'm not happy with that - pac-man needs to have his power pellets!  ;D

so here's my solution for that:

step 1: paint the screws yellow

it took me three different spray cans to find the correct yellow color. i couldn't take the yellow from the sides, because that one is different from the overlay yellow, but in the end i succeeded!

step 2: print out some power pellet templates in the correct size on adhesive vinyl

step 3: cut out those templates

step 4: apply them on top of the yellow screws

step 5: "shoot" the screws again - this time with black

step 6: carefully remove the templates

step 7: dance around in joy because of the fantastic results!  :-* :-* :-*

step 8: install them on the control panel

and here's the control panel after its complete makeover!

JUST PERFECT - don't you think?  :)

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
wow! - nice detail with the screws!
and as always, nothing less than the Ully-treatment!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
You're just crazy  :o  :arrow:

...but it kick ass!  :-* :-* :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »
That is really awesome and very clever. Will have to remember this one. Very nice end result.  :spaceace:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Wooooww nice touch Ully  :-* :-* :-*

:spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
great job, totaly impressive

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
WoW, SWEET!!! You must have a lot of patience.... Maybe I should try something like that as an anger management therapy  ;D
LOOKING FOR: a license to print money.....

And a Pacman. And a Donkey Kong.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
guys, i need some input ;):

i'm about to install the t-molding on my pac-man, but i'm not sure which color to use. most of the original cabs came with the orange version, but there was also a production run with yellow molding. what i don't like about the orange is that orange is nowhere to be found on the cab's artwork. while i somehow like yellow, i'm thinking "too much yellow might be too much for the cab". what about red or blue? has anyone every tried / seen pac cabs with different t-molding colors than orange?

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
In the original flyer T-molding is black  :arrow:

???

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
imho you're right that yellow tmolding, would be too yellow. if it's was me, i'd keep the authenticity of the restoration with an orange tmolding, but as you don't like it  maybe some photoshopping of a pacman cab picture would help to decide

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »
i've also put this up on klov, but i value the opinion of the DLF crew  :-* here's what i put up on klov after some testing:

pac-land is yellow for the most part of the cab as well and it has blue t-molding which i think rocks! i've just done a short test with yellow, orange, red and blue where i put all four colors in the t-molding slot one after the other. i don't like yellow because it doesn't attract attention, the color of the red is off, blue looks kickass and orange ... well, orange is THE original color, but imho somehow it doesn't fit.

somehow my pac row would look great like this: yellow-colored pac-man cab on the left with blue t-molding, then ms pac-man and pac-mania both with black t-molding in the middle and on the right yellow-colored pac-land with blue t-molding again!

and if i ever get a jr. pac-man, i'm going to put it in the middle with orange t-molding ...

i need more input ;) 

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »

the restoration continues ... with the monitor bezel

as you can see on the following picture, the original glass monitor bezel has already "lost a lot of blood". of course i could buy a plexi reproduction, but i'm trying to save the original piece!

a couple more shots of the damaged areas - from the front and from the back :arrow:

ok, here's how i tackled the problem: i started by getting a couple of different types of yellow paint ...

... and tested them on a spare piece of glass!

then i asked brian from gamestencils.com to cut me some stencil dots - which he did :-*

stencils applied with the correct spacing

waka waka waka - i feel hungry, need to eat those dots ;)

i covered the dots with some layers of black ...

... and finally sealed the paint off with a layer of white!

the results are in: the yellow doesn't seem to be a perfect match (which is isn't), but it looks much closer in reality and the difference is close to impossible to spot "on location"

here's a "full body shot" of the entire bezel after doing a lot of touch ups in different areas as well - i'm extremely happy with the outcome. another original piece saved!!!

to be continued ...

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
stop posting here (for the moment) and get that GORF road trip report going! - That´s an order!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
stop posting here (for the moment) and get that GORF road trip report going! - That´s an order!

i'm still waiting for some pics from someone else, so i thought i could do something else in the meantime 8)