Author Topic: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Man)  (Read 62026 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
Ully, you made a wise decision, and in the end the result seems to be pretty good to me, as good as you could do after the disaster with the blue paint (the result before your great 'touch up' work reminded me of the hand painted missile command side art I once saw on a photo. It was located at Stephan's place I believe).  ;)

It must have been tough for you, knowing that you are a restoration prefectionist, and I have respect for your determination.  :spaceace:

Can't wait to see the rest of the project. By the way, what are you going to do with the Ms? Will there also a stencil job be waiting for her?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
@etienne: can i change my avatar now?  :)

You have my bless  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »
thx etienne!  ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
By the way, what are you going to do with the Ms? Will there also a stencil job be waiting for her?

don't know yet what i'm going to do with the lady. the sides are in pretty good shape from what i can tell / remember, but the front has some kind of additional coin insert installed which definitely has to go, that's why i will most likely restencil the front - and when i do so, i might as well do the sides, because then i have the paint at my disposal. i will perform some tests with spare pac-man stencils trying to roll on the paint instead of spraying it and if this works out nicely, i'm going to do a roller stencil job after my disaster with the mister pac!

have you guys decided what to do with your lady yet? lady pac of course  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but I will stencil my PM and ms. PM. don't know when yet, probably sometime this year.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
I think I'll eventually stencil mine ms pac man, but your post scares me a little bit.
Although the outcome isn’t that bad if you ask me. I could live with those little errors.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but I will stencil my PM and ms. PM. don't know when yet, probably sometime this year.
Any chance of a "group stencil process" ? The big problem is that you need to have such long periods in time between sessions. Else it would be ideal to do multiple cabs in one go....

IF I'm going to stencil it will be rolled, not sprayed.

Ully, I wonder, since the blue came off, was it dried enough ?
Also, with the black, it looks like you're painting in small "puffs" instead of moving the spray left/right. I also noticed this effect on one side of your Berzerk. Am I right ? As far as I know with spraying you need to "swipe" your hand with a very steady speed. Also never start or stop spraying on the thing you are painting, so in this case start/stop on the stencils or next to the cab.

Just thinking out loud here, I'm definitely no expert...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 11:30:17 AM »
Ully, I wonder, since the blue came off, was it dried enough ?

totally! i had it sitting in that "famous warm room" for many many days. btw, the paint came out almost dry, that's why it created that mess on the floor. and as i've said before, the red was good to work with (apart from the mess it created) and the only place it lifted off was when there was blue underneath. i guess something must have been wrong with the paint - or i didn't prep the cab well (although i sanded it before spraying the colors).

Also, with the black, it looks like you're painting in small "puffs" instead of moving the spray left/right. I also noticed this effect on one side of your Berzerk. Am I right ? As far as I know with spraying you need to "swipe" your hand with a very steady speed. Also never start or stop spraying on the thing you are painting, so in this case start/stop on the stencils or next to the cab.

no offence taken, andré! i'm no expert on this either and i'm totally willing to learn, but the "black puff" was just done to take the picture, normally i swipe from left to right and the next layer up and down PLUS i never start on the area to be painted directly.

as for the berzerk: i rolled on the paint with the structure and applied one or two additional layers without the structure. then i sanded down parts of the structure and where the white color shone through, i either rolled on another layer or "puffed on" some black from a spray can. well spotted, by the way, this is only visible on the picture because of the flash!

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
Did you "white spirit" the base wood before applying the first coat? That removes any dust particles.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Did you "white spirit" the base wood before applying the first coat? That removes any dust particles.

nope, what is that exactly?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
The paint you got from the US right ?

Maybe the pressure changes/freezing cold in the hold of the plane ruined the can of paint ?

[EDIT] I re-read and the cans came from the UK. Not sure if that will go by airmail or surface mail....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:59:12 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
don't know either, but if it matters where the paint came from, why is there a difference between the blue and the red?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
i never saw paint come out dry from spraycans, maybe that was the problem ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
it seemed to come out ALMOST dry - look at that mess it made on the floor and on my mask, it's like dust!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
yeah i saw that, makes me think that there is something wrong with the paint

although the red was ok you said, and that was almost dry as well ?