Author Topic: SW ...... a thriller ....... with a happy ending  (Read 16388 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
SW ...... a thriller ....... with a happy ending
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »
Guys, you will not believe what I went through since yesterday, but in particularly the last hour.  :shock:

At the moment I am still breathless, so give me soem time to relax (and have my evenening dinner). I will post a nice story later this evening. All that I can say is that I'm a very happy arcade collector at the moment (as happy as when I got my DK cab), and I have to give Level42 a trillion thanks.  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:53:33 PM by ckong »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: SW ...... a thriller ....... with a happy ending
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
wow, can't wait!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:51 PM »
niiice, i can imagine what´s coming up!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
Hahahahahaha !YESSSSSS !!! Well congratulations on doubling the amount of a certain very rare arcade game in The Netherlands !!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And a fair price too !
Wohooooooo !!!  (But uhm the winner is from Bristol ??)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:54:51 PM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
OK, here is the story. Have a drink, sit back and relax. It’s a long story, but I have to tell it.  :)

I am in love ever since I first visited Level42 at his place back in early November. The target of my affection was this great Star Wars cockpit game. I never had seen one in real before, although I knew the game of course. It was a beautiful cab with a bit of (positive) sinister atmosphere around it. (The Force is with you) I knew right away that this cockpit game had moved from out of nowhere to number one on my cab wish list.

So I started to look around a bit but I soon noticed that these SW cockpits (and uprights) are not flying by like birds in the sky here in Europe. What made it even more difficult was the fact that I wanted one which at least is technically sound.  :-\

But then, on 1. Januar Zektor posted a lot of nice games and other items in his sales topic on Jamma+. Amongst them was a working SW cockpit. I was immediately as sharp as a knife on this topic. I asked Zektor to make a youtube video of the test sequence, let it view by Level42 and asked him for advice. It was clear to me, this was the cockpit I was looking for.  :) Unfortunately, at first he wanted to sell them during a Sunday bootsale!! However, a lot of jamma+ members did think that it was a bad idea because of driving distances and the fact that one might come for nothing (Oh, I’m sorry, I just sold the precious item that you wanted a few minutes ago). Fortunately Zektor agreed that the idea was not so good and he decided to put everything up on Ebid (something like Ebay).

That was a great idea, because the auction type of selling made it all very transparent for everyone. So, ‘my’  Star Wars cockpit was listed as the first item. I made an account on Ebid with my address and location (the Netherlands) and watched the auction. There wasn’t much happening for a few days, but I got more and more excited because the end time (6.00 PM Amsterdam time today) got nearer and nearer (obviously). Then, yesterday evening Level42, who is also in The Netherlands, posted in the sales topic on jamma+ that he wanted to place a bid on an item but he couldn’t because it wasn’t allowed for non-UK members!!!!!   :shock: That was terrifying news, but fortunately it was not done on purpose by Zektor and he agreed to change the specific auction items defaults to allow international bidders. Poeh, what a relieve. So I asked him to change it also for SW cockpit and some other items. Of course he wanted to do that, but he couldn’t change the SW cockpit defaults because there was already a bid placed. AAArgh!!!  :shock: :shock:

But hey, I am Dutch and therefore very inventive. So this afternoon ( a few hours before the auction ended) I said to Zektor that I would make an UK Ebid account and I mentioned him my new Ebidname. So I randomly picked a UK name, address and telephone (from a Southampton pub). It worked, I was online on Ebid. Zektor wished me luck. But it worked only an hour or so because at a certain moment I wanted to place a bid, but my account was blocked. WTF!!! I tried to login on my UK account a few times, requested a new password a few times, but  without success. Even my other e-mail account was blocked in their system because I didn’t get any e-mails with new passwords. Only two more hours left!!. So, what to do now?

But hey, I am Dutch. So I figured that if I would setup another UK account just a few minutes before the auction ends, it should last (should it? I wasn’t sure at all). I collected a new fake UK name and address, including phone number, made a new Hotmail account to register, and waited. In the meanwhile the auction bid was GBP 700 (from a starting amount of GBP 550). The reserve was met, so I knew that the cab would be won by someone. Then, with 7 minutes to go I made the new account. This took me 2 minutes and with 5 minutes to go I was ready again, and trembling like a drunken man. At 4 minutes left I did my first bid to check if it worked. It did and the new bid was GBP 710, which was the highest bid at that moment. Then I placed my proxy bid which I had in my head for a few days already (remember, the cockpit is VERY rare in Europe). In the last few minutes my bid was automatically raised to 720, 730, …… 730,     ……. 730, and in the last second to 831!!

YES, it’s mine.  ;D ;D ;D My proxy bid was just a very little bit above it. I have won a very nice looking SW cockpit in good working order, with spares.

Next to do is of course the pick up, which will be fun. I have a lot of miles ahead, go through the Euro Tunnel for the first time and end up with my number one cab (on even foot with DK). And if possible I will combine it with another pick up.

And to end the story, this game has good Karma, because it’s the first game where my wife supported me 100% to buy it. She even asked about the height of my proxy bid, and after I mentioned the amount she urged me to raise it. I didn’t, and it was a close call.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:14:13 PM by ckong »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
wow! - congrats! - and DAMN cheap!
Can´t wait to see the pics!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
Well done!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

I'm sure you felt the rush through your body when trying to make all those new accounts within time! I know I felt it when the seller of my Sagaia told me it was last chance, only few hours to make it there or it's scrapyard time.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
Well done!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

I'm sure you felt the rush through your body when trying to make all those new accounts within time! I know I felt it when the seller of my Sagaia told me it was last chance, only few hours to make it there or it's scrapyard time.

Yeah, we must have felt the same, and both did good  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
great story, eric! it was a blast to follow your words and to re-live what you must have experienced and felt like. i still have a cab waiting in GB to be picked up by myself, so perhaps we could go on a shared roadtrip  :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
Yesss!! Congratulation Ckong :spaceace: Well done  ;)
You really deserve this game... that 'ebit' was an epic story... I hope the road trip will bring you some more ArcadeLifeStyle stories like that  :P

The force was strong with you!  8)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
Hahaha, my second UK ebid account is now also blocked. So they really check up on name and telephone number. Fortunately it takes them some time.   ;D ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
Hahaha, my second UK ebid account is now also blocked. So they really check up on name and telephone number. Fortunately it takes them some time.   ;D ;D

Great story !!!! Congrats Ckong !!!

Fantastic cab .... and now ... the roadtrip and pics pics pics pics pics  :-* :-* :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »
YES road trip with pics!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
I actually think they check the IP address you registered from and not so much the phone number....but it doesn't matter now :D

Again, great to welcome another SW cockpit to our country !!!
And you got some very valuable bonus parts with it. And a good price IMHO, since there's a working 25" Amplifone in it.

As mentioned before, I'd love to go with you to pick it up, but negotiations with the mrs. will be very hard since I will already be visiting Ully for a weekend...will it be a one day round-trip ?

Oh, and whenever I bid on foreign E-bay offers, I always try a very low bid first to check if they accept intl.buyers. Usually the seller simply forgets to change the setting. I'm glad I bid on that item first though, so we discovered it....

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
Nice catch man! Could you show us the stuff (the photo of the "item" on ebid, for example)?
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"