Author Topic: just got back from the powdercoater ...  (Read 8842 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
just got back from the powdercoater ...
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
dropped off a couple of parts (paperboy, marble madness, centipede, pac-mania) some days ago at "my" powdercoater and today i went there again to pick up my order  :arrow:

all in all i paid €76,40 for the job which is imho a GREAT PRICE considering the amount of time (and spray cans) i would have needed to paint those parts myself. and of course the quality is perfect and very durable. three control panel parts from paperboy are not included in the picture, because the powdercoaters mistakenly used structured paint on them instead of flat black. they will be redoing those parts for free.

also dropped off tons of parts for andre from his star wars cockpit - they guys working there are beginning to think i'm crazy  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: just got back from the powdercoater ...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »
Woooww look like new  :-*

they guys working there are beginning to think i'm crazy  ;)

Don't worry Ully, it's pretty common among us with the disease ..... ARCADE MANIAC  :shock: :wink: :lol:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »
also dropped off tons of parts for andre from his star wars cockpit - they guys working there are beginning to think i'm crazy  ;)

They will start increasing their price ! ;)

Looks sweet and you are totally right: If you only consider the amount of time saved it's already worth that amount of money !!
Plus, powder coating can never be beat by any home painting. It's VERY durable.

I wonder what they thought when they saw the ready-painted parts......(I had already done a number of stuff of the SW but in the end I didn't like the result. Too shiny.

Could they also powder coat the one part that is aluminum ?

P.S. there's also some Euro-Joust parts in that lot ! And some Puckman parts, and a MC cabaret part :) :):)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
Looks sweet and you are totally right: If you only consider the amount of time saved it's already worth that amount of money !!

not to mention the effort it takes to get the paint OFF, especially when parts are bent or unreachable at all. getting the paint off is included in that price.  :)

Could they also powder coat the one part that is aluminum ?

i think so. we had a quick look through the bags, especially at the handle grips. they have to mask off the holes there (otherwise they will be filled up with powdercoating stuff), but everything else should be fair game. i'm going there again on monday, if any problems should arise, they will tell me in person!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Wow! You're right. It's a better/fast/cheapest solution regarding the amount of work it requires if you do it yourself/with your product (to buy)... :)

I'll give it a try too  8)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
That is way better than "home painting" , good decision to powdercoat

but i read that you brought parts from André, that rises a question to me, are there no reasonable priced powdercoaters here in the netherlands ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »
but i read that you brought parts from André, that rises a question to me, are there no reasonable priced powdercoaters here in the netherlands ?

i'll let andré answer that ...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
Nothing is reasonably priced overhere, except for alcoholic drinks for someone from Denmark :D

I've had some parts powdercoated (much less then Ully's stuff already) and I had to pay 75.
For the Galaxian coin door, it had to be grey, it was another 75.
Just one part, because of color change. (And this price was "without receipt", if you catch my drift)

Also, they can't do the wonderful looking structure that I have seen in person on one of Ully's parts (oops that sounds wrong!  ;D).

O, and the very most important little thing: I had to do ALL the removing of old paint, rust etc. etc. myself !!!!!!
That alone is worth having it done by Ully's powder-coater !

Plus: it gave me a wonderful excuse to have to drive over to ully's place to pick the stuff up. Of course I will drive up there, pick up the stuff and head straight back home............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

O by the way Ully, did you mention that I would kill them if they loose any of the SW parts ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

About the masking of the holes: STUPID ME !
I had the bolts that belong in those holes up there ! I removed them because I thought they might get lost....they could have used them because I have brand new bolts instead. Not sure if that would have worked for them though....Anyway, it's not a metric diameter, so I don't hope they try to fit a metric sized bolt in there.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
Nothing is reasonably priced overhere, except for alcoholic drinks for someone from Denmark :D

hehe, ouch! - that hurt :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
Also, they can't do the wonderful looking structure that I have seen in person on one of Ully's parts (oops that sounds wrong!  ;D).

that sounded DAMN wrong  :lol:

Plus: it gave me a wonderful excuse to have to drive over to ully's place to pick the stuff up. Of course I will drive up there, pick up the stuff and head straight back home............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i'll make sure to put everything in a box and place it on my porch. just drop the money in the mailbox then. IF you're lucky, i'll wave you goodbye from behind the window  ;)

O by the way Ully, did you mention that I would kill them if they loose any of the SW parts ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

not sure if they even know what star wars is ...  ???

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »
That is way better than "home painting" , good decision to powdercoat

For reference, just found one here in Brussels, Belgium that's doing a coin door, frame, control panel and 2 marquee brackets for €40, that includes sandblasting. The Netherlands is cheaper than Belgium for many things, so don't give up :)

Colin
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »

in keeping with the spirit of this topic: i just got back (again) from the powdercoater - this time with 27 pieces "in my pockets" :arrow:

i think i've impressed the owner with those videogames parts, because the powdercoating job seems to be getting cheaper every time i drop something off. i paid a little less than 80 bucks for the entire package, which means less than 3 euros per piece. i don't get my hands dirty anymore with sanding, priming and spraying for that price! 8)

anyone wanna take a guess which games those parts belong to?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Let me think...... ;)
One could be Jungle King? ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
That looks really sharp!  :o

I informed about power coating some cabinet parts myself but they would charge me €25,- a piece!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
One could be Jungle King? ;D

right! :P

to be honest, i'm having a hard time identifiying all those pieces myself ;) because i forgot to take reference pictures from some of them and i have a couple of cabinets i'm working on right now - some are still in storage, but i had already removed the metal parts :-[

perhaps i have some nice powercoated metal parts for sale in the end :ghost:

UPDATE: i've been successful in identifiying all the parts (lucky me): they are from gauntlet, ikari warriors, moon patrol and jungle king!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:57:07 AM by Superully »